Thursday, July 7, 2011

Now He's Got the Runs

Good morning! We're up at 5am today because Cody's got diarrhea. Oh joy! This is entirely my fault. I'm a vet. I should know better. Well if getting up at 5 am isn't punishment then at least I'm learning my lesson.

Why does my sweet puppy have the trots? Well if I'd been posting daily or even twice daily like the blogging guidelines suggest you would know that I implemented a new home-cooked diet. This weekend I enthusiastically read everything I had on home-cooked diets for cancer. On Sunday I brewed up a magnificent batch of organic brown rice, organic broccoli, Rocky Jr. free range chicken, beef broth with turmeric and garlic, sea weed, organic carrots and a slew of fresh organic green leafy stuff. Wonderful. I was so thrilled and he was so thrilled that I didn't even think about doing a gradual diet change over...lesson learned - practice what you preach veterinarian.

What you're supposed to do when you change your dog's diet is mix the new with the old, in gradually increasing amounts of the new food until you're feeding 100% of the new food. This process should take about a week. Ah...I mixed a little of the old kibble in with the first meal. No diarrhea that day, so no problem right? Wrong.

Since we now live in a condo without a back yard we were outside going potty before the birds were even up this morning. I think the poor dog was up earlier, but was just too polite to wake me up.  He's now crashed out again. I'm up typing. Might as well take advantage of the extra time, right? Groan...

Breakfast this morning (for Cody, I haven't eaten yet) was regular kibble (Wellness brand) and some canned food (Organix) with Pepcid (antacid), carafate (gastroprotectant) and metronidazole (antibiotic with anti-inflammatory properties on the gut). Hopefully we can get the diarrhea resolved quickly because 5 am is nice if you're bird watching, but not for much else if you ask me.

No comments:

Post a Comment